Are you one of those that prefer to make calls via wifi because you want to save money for airtime or data?
Are you aware that the disadvantages of wifi calling by far surpasses the money you are trying to save?
In this post, I will be sharing with you the downsides of WiFi Calling.
Table of Contents
What is WiFi Calling
WiFi which means wireless fidelity can be used to make calls because the network is very strong when compared to mobile data.
Wi-Fi Calling is a way of making and receiving voice and video calls over a Wi-Fi connection in place of your cellular connection.
In other words, using WLAN connectivity to make cellphone calls.
It comes with no additional charge on compatible devices and can occur in places the WiFi network is available like underground subways, offices etc.
WiFi calling is just like making your normal call because all connection, authentication, and routing will still work like in a normal call.
Is wifi calling safe? Yes, it is, It is similar to skype, WhatsApp messenger calls and the likes.
How to Enable Wifi Calling
It is interesting to know that all Android and iOS device supports WiFi calling, but you will need to enable it on your device before you can use it. That is to say, you can turn wifi calling on or off.
So to enable Wifi calling on your iPhone simply follow the steps below:
- Navigate to your phone Settings option and enable the Mobile Data option.
- The Wi-Fi calling option will be displayed, if it is available on your mobile network.
- On the wifi option displayed in step 2 above, enable the Wi-Fi Calling.
To enable or turn on the WiFi calling option on your android device, follow these steps:
- Navigate to your phone Settings option and enable the ”Network & Internet” option, then click on ‘‘Wi-Fi Preferences” > Advanced calling.
- You will see the ”Wi-Fi calling” option displayed, from there enable or turn it on.
How To Use WiFi Calling
The first step to take before you start wifi calling is to ensure that the feature is enabled on your device.
If it is not enabled, you can follow the steps above to do so, depending on your device.
Once you have enabled the wi-fi calling feature on your device, the next step will be to check your mobile service provider for information.
Wi-Fi calling can be done via a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) system.
This type of call is similar to a normal call.
Ensure you are connected to the internet. A notification will be displayed to choose the Wifi calling option.
Advantages Of Wifi Calling
There are a lot of advantages of this kind of calls, but like I said the disadvantages by far outweigh the advantages.
- It doesn’t use any talk time minutes
- Wi-Fi calls don’t use LTE data
- High quality of calls with clear sound
- It provides good voice quality where the network is weak
- No extra charges
- Battery life can be extended
- Wi-Fi calling doesn’t need a lot of bandwidth. Normally, a voice call uses about 1 MB for each minute
- whereas a video call utilizes 6 to 8 MB for each minute.
Disadvantages Of WiFi Calling
- The number on disadvantage of wifi calling UK is that this type of call opens your information/data to hackers. This implies that while on wifi call your safety online is not guarantee.
- Wi-Fi calling is usually discounted from the phone package per minute. This means that the volume of data used during this type of call by far is higher than that of a Skype call.
- Wi-Fi calling is not possible without having a Wi-Fi enabled device.
- It is not actually free as it appears, since calls use about 1 MB of data/minute.
- Another major disadvantage of Wi-Fi calling is that one can lose signal easily while on transit. This will result in a call freeze while your phone tries to connect to a cellular network.
- Wifi calling poor quality; It is also very difficult to get a signal for your Wi-Fi calls.
- You can get some delays in data transfer while using wifi calling. This means that users will experience 1 or 2 seconds delay during wi-fi calling.
Wi-Fi calling is a very interesting and useful feature especially when you do not have airtime. It is advised to use it sparingly for safety reasons.